The FBLS awards two academic prizes each year:
- The UK Academic Award, for the UK,
- Le Prix Universitaire Robertson- Horsington, for France.
Since 2012, the aim of both these prizes has been to reward universities offering joint-degree programmes which promote Franco-British legal understanding. Such study progammes merit both recognition and support for they enable law students, academics , lawyers and judges from both sides of the Channel to work together and to understand and appreciate both the Common Law and Civil Law legal systems and the very different methods of legal reasoning on which they are based.
The amount of each award is currently a minimum of £1000. The recipient university undertakes to set up a fund and to award a prize of £200 each year, for five consecutive years, to students who are to be chosen for their academic excellence but also for their commitment to promoting Franco-British legal understanding and relations.
Application and Procedure
Applications should consist in a written presentation of the joint-degree programme highlighting the strong points and achievements of the particular programme, and showing how it enhances Franco-British legal understanding and relations. The applications are to be sent by email, and must be received by the Academic Director of the FBLS by 1 September in each year.
The Academic Director, on behalf of the Board, recommends potential candidates for the awards to the Academic Committee, an independent external consultation committee, composed of senior members of the French and UK legal communities.
The Academic Committee confirms the recommendation and returns its opinion to the Academic Director, who reports to the Board.
A prestigious award ceremony is organized for each prize.
The UK Academic Award prize-giving takes place during the Annual Reception of the Society at the House of Lords in January each year.
The award ceremony for the Prix Universitaire Robertson-Horsington takes place at the Annual dinner of the AJFB/FBLS in March in Paris.
Dr Vivienne Forrest
Academic Director, AJFB/FBLS
Email : [email protected]
And copy to the Administrator FBLS
Email : [email protected]
Publication of Award Winners
The names of award winners and institutions will be published on the website of the Society and remain there until the next awards are made. The institution will then be added to the list of past recipients.
Recent Recipients of Awards
Recipients of FBLS prizes and awards include the following prestigious institutions
- 2022 - UK Academic Award - University of Strathclyde
- 2021 - UK Academic Award - University of Cardiff
- 2020 - UK Academic Award - University of Exeter
- 2019 - UK Academic Award - University of Glasgow
- 2018 - Prix Universitaire Robertson-Horsington – Université de Strasbourg
- 2017 - Prix Universitaire Robertson-Horsington – Université de Toulouse1 Capitole
Recent Student Winners of the two Academic Prizes
- Shania Essah Aurelio, University of Exeter
- Agathe Hanrot, Université de Strasbourg
- Margot Couturier-Culioli, Université de Toulouse1 Capitole
- Zoé Gonzalez de Lara, Université de Toulouse1 Capitole
- Margot César, Université de Toulouse1 Capitole
- Ruraidh Owens, University of Glasgow
- Anna-Lisa Lafay, University of Leicester
- Orsolya Dani, University of Leicester
- Alexane Vialle, Unniversité de Strasbourg
- Bérénice Marcotte, Université de Paris Ouest Nanterre
- Anais Contat, Université de Toulouse1 Capitole
- Victor Sineau, University of Leicester
- Agathe Hanrot, University of Leicester,
- Emmanuelle Gaillard, Université de Toulouse1 Capitole
- Julien Siret, Université de Paris Ouest Nanterre
- Caroline Nguyen-Huu, Université de Ouest Nanterre
- Laura Gray, University of Aberdeen
- Olivia King, Queen Mary Univeersity of London,
- Jade Bernard, Queen Mary, University of London
- Kimberly Neale, University of Aberdeen
Past Recipients of Awards
Recipients of FBLS prizes and awards include the following prestigious institutions. Some universities have received more than one award.
- University of Aberdeen
- University of Cambridge
- University of East Anglia
- University of Cardiff
- Ecole des Avocats, Lyon
- University of Edinburgh
- University of Glasgow
- University of Kent
- King’s College London
- Kingston University
- University of Leicester
- University of Manchester
- University of Newcastle
- University of Nottingham
- University of Oxford
- Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne
- Université de Paris Ouest Nanterre
- Queen Mary, University of London
- Queen’s University Belfast
- Université de Rennes 1
- Université de Strasbourg
- University of Strathclyde
- Université de Toulouse1Capitole
- University of Swansea, Wales